Friday, August 6, 2010

My Plans ~ or "God Laughs"

An old Yiddish proverb states "man plans and God laughs."  Oh well, I am going to go out on a limb (this is all about my family tree you know) and share my plans for The Keough Corner anyway. 

Although I am researching and writing about both the Keough branch and the Murphy branch of my family tree, I plan to post my blogs on each branch separately.  Part of the reason is that the families are distinct and did not intertwine until 1925.  The Keough and affiliated families started out in Ireland, went to Newfoundland and did not come to the United States until the early 1900s.  The Murphy and affiliated families started out in Ireland, and came to the United States in the mid-1800s.  As a result, the locations and timeframes for research are quite different (although they do meet up at perhaps the farthest distance in the "lower 48" you can get from Ireland ~ the state of Washington ~ more on that later). 

In order to research the Keough family, I will focus on Newfoundland (and later Canadian) sources for genealogy. This is the place I plan to discuss Newfoundland research in general; my research to-date, my research trips, tips and suggestions for others interested in the same families and/or the same locations, and hopefully connect with long lost cousins. 

In order to research the Murphy family, I will focus on United States sources for genealogy.  This is the place I plan to discuss Irish-American research in general; my research to-date, my research trips, tips and suggestions for others interested in the same families and/or the same locations, and hopefully connect with long lost cousins.

At the outset I will focus on the Keough branch and detail my Newfoundland research.  But "no worries," I will not forget to divide my time and give the Murphy branch its due.  I fear it will be a bit of time before I am able to make the leap across the pond for either of these branches ~ I am looking for those Irish (sourced) connections!  Until next time, Slainte.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome - thanks for sharing - just so you know, all comments are moderated.