Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tuesday's Tip ~ Newfoundland Vital Records on FamilySearch

Do you have family members who were born in Newfoundland between 1891-1897, married in Newfoundland between 1887-1922, or died in Newfoundland between 1891-1949?  Do you have the register entry relating to the birth, marriage or death?  Have you made copies of those register entries for your family database or files?

If your answer to my first question is YES and your answer to my second and/or third question is NO, run don't walk to the FamilySearch.org and check out the "Newfoundland, Vital Records, 1840-1949" browseable indexes and registers. 

But before you go clicking through the 58,839 images in the collection, take a quick detour over to the FamilySearch Wiki to learn about these Newfoundland Vital Records.  The Wiki provides search helps, explains the categories of possible content you may find in the records, and provides sources for the information as well bit of history regarding the record collection.  For those of you who are cite challenged, check out the examples of how to cite your research from the records once you have found your family members. 

This collection has been online since August 2010 but I did not check it out at the time as I had previously scanned certain of these registers while at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.  In going through my research I found some blanks, unclear names and dates, and had a few questions ~ confession, my research notes are not always perfect!  Being able to check my notes and scans against these browseable images (in the comfort of my home in my pjs) was a treat ~ the high quality scans with a great zoom feature resolved most of my questions. 

So if you have Newfoundlanders in your family ~ happy hunting ~ and if your area of interest is Bonavista South ~ perhaps we are looking for the same folks.  Be sure to check out my Newfoundland surnames.  This is an excellent opportunity to "put the pieces" together with your vital records research.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome - thanks for sharing - just so you know, all comments are moderated.