Thursday, June 30, 2011

Happy 3rd Quarter 2011! - My (Continuing) NewYear's Resolutions



Well it is summertime (finally)!  Who wants to be indoors working on their genealogy files?  This is the time for trips to cemeteries, family get-togethers and vacations.  I am half-way through the year (although I am not quite half-way through my genealogy goals).  It's time for lemonade and a few more varied tasks.  So, these are my resolutions for the third quarter of 2011 ~


  1. I resolve to correspond regularly with extended family members/genealogists about our research-to-date in order to confirm, deny, and supplement our individual research and hopefully encourage these same family members to put our proven data in an on-line semi-private format for our collective use and to connect with other extended family members (make use of Ancestry’s member connect, Rootsweb’s member connect and GrandBank’s member forum).
  2. I resolve to blog on a regular basis (at least once a week) about the status of my family research, any research trips, and how I am doing with my resolutions! 
  3. I resolve to continue working smarter, not harder, in 2011 – This is a continuing effort:
    • Source - Continue working through my source citations.  This is a never-ending project but I have it down to three main tasks: clean up current sources in my Legacy program, draft a source citation for all new items before I work with them (film, book, newspaper, etc.), check my source citations against Evidence Explained, the FamilySearch Wiki, and Worldcat.org.
    • Data Entry – Put it all together by entering it into my Legacy program, my Excel worksheets, my Creative Memories Memory Manager program and filing as appropriate.
    • Protect – Continue backing up my computer on a regular basis – just do it!

How do the genealogy bloggers out there keep up with other bloggers, post regularly and find time to get their own research done?  If you have any tips or hints, please share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome - thanks for sharing - just so you know, all comments are moderated.