Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Rooted Technology - WAGF

This might be Wednesday Afternoon Genealogy Fun!  I took a look at Randy Seaver's post and thought I would share my technology status.  Check out the link below for the meme (I copied, pasted, and revised his list to respond to the meme).


  • Technology you already use: bold face type 
  • Technology you would like to use or learn more about: italicize 
  • Technology you don’t use, have no interest in using or no longer use: plain type
  • Explain or give opinions in brackets [  ] at the end of each bullet point

  1. I have a tablet computer such as an iPad that I use for genealogy. [I have a notebook and an itouch – the combination works for me; maybe I will check out tablets in the next iteration.]
  2. I have downloaded one or more apps to a Smart Phone or similar device. [I use an itouch and have downloaded several genealogy apps as well as a PDF reader app – excellent for having reports at your fingertips.]
  3. I belong to a genealogy society that uses social media. [GOONS, MNGS, UGA]
  4. I use GEDCOM files and understand the various compatibility issues involved. [Thanks to Randy Seaver’s latest series on GEDCOMs and various software programs, my understanding has increased.]
  5. I have added metadata to some of my files and digital photos. [A few years back as a family project we got all our slides and photographs professionally scanned, selected a software program (Creative Memories Memory Manager) to store them and used our time to add names, dates, and places.  Since then we keep it up by adding our digital photos to the MM program on a regular basis.]
  6. I have utilized an API from a genealogy-related application or website. [what's an API?]
  7. I have taken a DNA test related to my genealogy research.  [This would be a great Christmas present.]
  8. I have used the FamilySearch Research Wiki. [Very helpful site and so much is being added all the time.]
  9. I have a Facebook account and use it regularly for genealogy. [Facebook is a great method to “meet” extended family in distant places and has been helpful for contacts in my research.  I am not too crazy about the junk but it does have a huge number of members.]
  10. I use tech tools to help me cite my sources in genealogy research. [I make use of both Evidence Explained and the source templates in Legacy Family Tree 7.5 – that is a definite improvement over figuring it out on your own with a manual of citation.]
  11. I have developed a genealogy-related app for a Smart Phone or similar device. [Well that is never going to happen – I like these apps but I am not a developer!]
  12. I use a genealogy database program [Legacy Family Tree is my go to program;  RootsMagic 5 has me thinking about updating for the Research Manager – hey Legacy are you listening?]
  13. I use cloud computer resources to store my genealogy data. [I use Google Docs for working files but do not (as yet) have any trees online and I use external hard drives for backup of my notebook.]
  14. I have made one or more contributions to the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
  15. I have attended a genealogy webinar. [Webinars might be the best new thing in genealogy in the past year and I might vote for Google+ Hangouts for this year!]
  16. I have organized and administered a DNA testing group related to my genealogy. [no plans...]
  17. I use apps involving GPS and Geo-caching for my genealogy research. [not yet...]
  18. I have a Google+ account and use it regularly for genealogy. [I love, love, love Google+ and would love for more genealogists to join.  I think the potential for circles by surname, location, genealogy program, etc., and hangouts by research topics, programs and goals with no need to travel to meet up would all be really good things.]
  19. I have created and published a family history e-book. [Still working on the research.]
  20. I have created a wiki related to my genealogy research.
  21. I have conducted a genealogy webinar as a presenter. [This is one of those things I am thinking about.]
  22. I read genealogy-related blogs to help improve my own research. [This is a great way to learn, thanks to all the bloggers out there who share their knowledge; I keep up with them in my Google Reader and at Google+.]
  23. I have one or more genealogy-related blogs to help improve my own research. [Excellent source of motivation and have heard from extended family; also helps to give back and share some tips and resources.]
  24. I have a Twitter account and use it regularly for genealogy. [I don’t see the attraction but do follow along on pages with tweets – especially RootsTech 2011]
  25. I have one or more genealogy-related websites which I run and administer. [I am working on a website for my one place study – still in the draft stage at this point.]
  26. I have created a screencast or video related to genealogy and posted it at a video sharing site (Vimeo, YouTube, etc.).  [Not yet, but I am working on this one.]
  27. I use one or more digital tools to capture and record my family history. [digital camera for family pictures, photos at cemeteries, document images at repositories; Livescribe Pen for interviews, seminars, etc.]
Thanks Randy - that was fun and I can't wait to see what others have to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome - thanks for sharing - just so you know, all comments are moderated.