Sunday, May 25, 2014

This Week on My Family History Calendar

Murphy-Keough Family Calendar, May 25 - 31 
Image made with wordle.net - thanks


May 25
James Robert Curtin [870] (1915-1990), my first cousin once removed, was born on this date in 1915 in Massachusetts. His parents were James A. Curtin [869] and Mary Assumption Murphy [213]. James married Cyrene Olive Parker [874] (1913-1997) in 1936 in Seattle, King, Washington. I need to do more research on James to see if I can find out more about him and his family. My to-do list keeps expanding every week but this is a great way to find those family members who need more work!

May 27
James Joseph Murphy [205] (1888-1950), my great uncle, was born on this date in 1888 in Tecumseh, Johnson, Nebraska. His parents were Lawrence Edward Murphy [202] and Catherine Matilda Murphy [203]. James married Catherine Maud Allen [858] (1891-1968) in 1913 in Vancouver City, British Columbia, Canada. Jim and Cassie made their home in Washington State and had three sons. James was Nan's twin (see entry below).

Honora Agnes Butler Murphy [206], my great aunt, was born on this date in 1888 in Tecumseh, Johnson, Nebraska. Her parents were Lawrence Edward Murphy [202] and Catherine Matilda Murphy [203]. Honora was named after her maternal grandmother Honora Agnes Butler and the family called her Nan. (I love my Irish families - following along with the naming pattern on Lawrence and Catherine's family I do get the first four children - two sons and two daughters all named after their grandparents in that wonderful Irish naming tradition - thanks!).  Nan married Duncan Johnston [862] (1879-1962) in 1910 in Vancouver City, British Columbia, Canada. Nan and Duncan made their home in Langley, British Columbia and had three daughters. Nan was James' twin!

Albert Joseph Watson [1973] (1924-1983), my third cousin once removed, was born on this date in 1924 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. His parents were Albert Ernest Watson [1503] and Suzanna Keough [1502]. Albert married Dorothy Violet Spencer [1987] (unknown-unknown) in 1947 in Windsor Junction, Nova Scotia. Albert and Dorothy made their home in Nova Scotia and had six children. Yet again, I have some work ahead of me and Albert and his family join my to-do list!


May 30
Valrea Rosemond Cleckner [3043] (1909-1987), the wife of my first cousin twice removed, was born on this date in 1909 in Nebraska. Her parents were Roland Stewart Cleckner [3045] and Edith Ann Gariss [3004]. In 1928 Valrea married Kenneth Patrick Malone [2994] (1908-1978), my first cousin twice removed, in Tecumseh, Johnson, Nebraska. They made their home first in Nebraska, moved to Kansas, and finally settled in Oregon. Valrea and Kenneth had two children. When next visiting some of my family (or perhaps I could just put them to work as researchers), I need to stop by the Oregon Historical Society and the Central Library, both in Portland - to learn a bit more about the Malone family. 

Do you recognize any of these names or stories? Perhaps we have some extended family in common. Please contact me and we can share information and learn more about our people. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome - thanks for sharing - just so you know, all comments are moderated.