It is January 2 and time for my New Year’s Resolutions. Last year I published my resolutions/goals on a quarterly basis and that worked okay (I got a little lazy the last few months) but I need to be even more focused this year. I previously wrote that I planned to write up resolutions/goals on a monthly basis during 2012.
I resolve to use the Motivation Monday meme to publish my resolutions/goals on the first Monday of each month during 2012 and then use the following three Mondays to keep track of my progress.
I resolve to publish my resolutions/goals in five specific areas Research, Organization, Blogging, Writing & Education.
Since this worked so well for me last year, I resolve to continue working smarter not harder in 2012. Simply put this means to think about and plan for the things I want to accomplish, to continue to learn how best to use my genealogy database program, and to research, analyze and write up my findings.
Since today is the first Monday of January – here are my goals:
- Use my one remaining month of World Deluxe membership to Ancestry.com to go through my Shoebox and download and save all “international records” that I have found during the past few years. In 2012 I plan to focus on my USA and Canada research and dial back my Ancestry.com membership.
- Finish organizing my Norwegian and Swedish Notebooks (both paper and hard drive). I spent part of the summer last year researching my Norwegian and Swedish lines in Minnesota and Washington and need to go through everything I acquired that needs to be scanned, filed, entered in my Legacy database, and/or shredded or discarded.
- Finish organizing my USA Census Excel Workbook. I spent one month last year updating my census research for all individuals in my Legacy database. I downloaded the census images, abstracted the information for each family’s census fact/event, and updated the master sources and details for each census using the SourceWriter. I now have census entries through 1930 together with residence/location information for most individuals in my Legacy database and need to run a Search for missing census information – a continuing project to get ready for the 1940 US Census release in April.
- Begin participating in a new weekly meme: 52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy, written by Amy Coffin and hosted on Geneabloggers
- Blog at least two times each week – including Motivation Monday and Surname Saturday.
- Write a “guest blog post" about my family’s slide/photo scanning and organization project for Marian's Roots and Rambles, written by Marian Pierre-Louis.
- Read and comment on posts in my Genealogy Bloggers Circle at Google+.
- Watch at least two genealogy webinars during January.
What are your goals for January? Why not join the rest of us and put your goals out there on your blog. If you are on Google+ perhaps you would interested in getting together once or twice a month in a Hangout to discuss your goals and share your progress. Let’s make 2012 the year we move our genealogy forward by leaps and bounds. Cheers!